Recovery – Hip Release with a Ball
Set and Reps:
- 2-3 sec hold each side
- 10 reps per point of muscle tension attempting to be released
- You can target 1-3 points of muscle stiffness
- Do not sustain pressure on the ball for more than 10 sec. You run the risk of giving yourself a nerve compression injury this way.
- Gentle, intentional release of muscle tension to improve circulation and mobility. You are trying to relax muscle tone and tension.
- The piriformis is good target. Deep hip rotators are also a good target.
- Lacrosse balls are large and fairly hard. You can spend more and get latex rubber ball, tennis or racquetball or just do this on a soft surface. If you are without a ball you can use a tightly held fist, a rounded river rock or even a wrapped up pine cone. Get creative, but be safe.
- If you find this to be uncomfortable you can limit the ROM in which you sway the knees.